Let’s assume you have a GREAT product. You can dress it up, slap a bow, and offer it at a fantastic price. But no one sees it. You are limited in your exposure to others through word of mouth or paid strategies. And so, how helpful would it be to learn how to use your content too? Generate a steady flow of leads to your business.
Probably helpful, right?
Well, that’s what this post is all about. You see, the marketing world has changed over the years. And even those with marketing or advertising budgets will only excel with a content strategy. People are craving snippets about what products and services will do for them. They want the story, the testimony, and to fill the void.
Then vs. Now Marketing Strategies
Neil Patel wrote an article in May 2018 about the now vs. then marketing and sales funnels. Although there may be a slight shift to be current, this visual should help;
… notice the difference?
Marketing dominates the funnel, yet people continue to have a sales-driven mentality. Want to win and create a steady flow of leads? Master your content.
Get good at;
- Creating awareness (valuable content)
- Attracting Interested Parties (curiosity posts, attraction marketing)
- Connecting to allow for Consideration of you (not product yet)
- Relationships to Nurture Intent (about your product)
- Lean on the Relationship (decision-making process)
- Customer Purchase (LOVE on them)
Now, please understand that we are insistent on genuine connections. So yes, there is a marketing component to this – however, be genuine and authentic in your messaging and conversations with prospects. Your relationships matter more than any sale or sign-up.
OK, now that we’ve determined that marketing is the key — creating the content for that marketing is next. Because the right content – even existing content, is the ultimate way to generate a steady flow of leads for your business.
What is a Sales Lead?
According to Investopedia, A sales lead is the identification data gathered from a prospective buyer of a product or service. Businesses gain access to sales leads through advertising, trade shows, direct mailings, third parties, and other marketing efforts. However, a sales lead is not a sales prospect because further qualification of the new client possibility is necessary to determine their Intent and interest.
Consider this a friendly reminder that the lead process occurs before the qualification. Recognizing that your new contact is a lead to start is essential. Once you have determined you can fill a void or offer them a solution … hold off on your GREAT product pitch.
Picture it as a place where the sorting process begins.
This is where relevant content matters most. You want to ensure that the value you put out will be valuable to your ideal person/prospect. For example, if you are selling shampoo but putting out content about computers … who are you attracting?
This is often the place people find themselves stuck.
Irrelevant content is a waste of time as spammy content. Why? Because neither is going to attract quality leads for your business.
Create Content To Generate A Steady Flow Of Leads
That’s the backbone of the content you are putting out there. Keep it relevant. So, before you get content crazy (not necessarily a bad thing), identify your audience. Once that is crystal clear, the next question you should be asking is this;
‘where are my ideal prospects?’
They’re more than likely online, but where?
The following is a list of places you want to visit with your targeted, value-driven, relevant content.
- Twitter (short, actionable, best used for leads during the day time)
- LinkedIn (publishing piece of the platform – take full advantage)
- Quora (answer a question – be valuable to the posted)
- Reddit (create a small entry on topics you are rich in knowledge in)
- Facebook (adding continuous and consistent value – including in Groups or Pages)
- YouTube (create how-to videos and tutorials, people love DIY)
- Surf some blogs (make solid comments on ones that have engagement)
- Guest blog (like writing? connect with others on how you can provide value)
- Participate in online forums (search forums related to your industry)
- Instagram (quality images with powerful captions)
Please Note: Each of these platforms, for generating a steady flow of leads, need consistency. Additionally, they require regular follow-up. Make sure you are going back to the content you’ve distributed – see who else is engaging on the content. Connect with them.
Taking action is your ticket to acquiring a steady flow of quality leads. Sure, you can skip corners, buy leads or share leads with others, but we think you would be doing yourself a disservice. Instead, take the time to discover the quality and nurture them, love on them, and breathe life into them