Are you an entrepreneur who has wondered what the role of emotional intelligence is in business? Or, perhaps you’re wondering what it even is — or why it even matters? Well, we believe it holds huge merit in the business world so we wanted to create an 8-part series (over the next 8 weeks) dissecting pieces that we believe have played the largest role for us.
In today’s post however, we want to over briefly what emotional intelligence is, the topics we will touch on and, how you can apply it to your business.
Let’s get started.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is having the ability to recognize and understand emotions and, their impact on behavior and attitudes. People who have a high degree of emotional intelligence are in tune with both their own emotions and the emotions of other people with whom they come in contact.
Now, knowing this let’s apply this thought process to your business.
Emotional intelligence involves being sensitive to and perceptive of other people’s emotions.
Remember, most of us are in the relationship business right?…
Today’s workplace (workspace) is characterized by;
- open communication
- mutual respect among colleagues, team members or otherwise.
When EI is involved, it allows leaders to better understand and motivate people they oversee, work with or work for.
If you want to succeed in the business world now and in the future, it’s important that you understand the role of emotional intelligence in business today.
Leaders who have outstanding leadership qualities tend to possess emotional intelligence.
Are you a leader? Of course you are! So, take note.
It’s important to realize that leadership isn’t a given for just because you find yourself in a position of authority. A leader is someone that others look up to. And this role is reserved for individuals with high standards of integrity and great communication skills.
An individual who is in tune with his or her own emotions is much more likely to be able to understand and empathize with the emotions that impact others.
This is why emotional importance is so valuable for leaders.
It’s essential to want to remember that actions speak louder than words. This is something that individuals who possess a high degree of emotional intelligence seem to naturally understand.
It’s likely that emotional intelligence is going to continue to become even more important in the business world in the future than it is today.
The 5 most Common Components
Connelly Hayward, a master trainer in emotional intelligence, explained what the 5 components of emotional intelligence are:
- Self-awareness is the ability to recognize and understand your emotions and the effect those emotions have on you and others around you.
- Self-regulation is the ability to think before acting and suspend judgment about a situation, person or experience. With self-regulation, redirecting disruptive impulses is a must.
- Social awareness involves understanding the emotional state of those around you. In other words, it is the ability to sense the emotional temperature of a room. It also encompasses recognizing how your words and actions affect others.
- Social regulation is the ability to influence the emotions of others. Social regulation involves knowing when it’s appropriate to influence the emotional condition of others and when it’s appropriate not to do so.
- Motivation is the passion you have for work that goes beyond money, recognition or promotion.
(via Business News Daily)
So, get ready because over the next 8 weeks we are going to bring you different pieces of the Emotional Intelligence processes on a deeper and actionable level.
Where is your current understanding and/or philosophy on emotional intelligence? Can’t wait to hear your thoughts and feedback below.
If you haven’t already, be sure to join our Facebook Group — Influencers Hangout — This is a place for entrepreneurs who want to learn how to use social media the right way to grow their business! Or in the mean time, learn a little bit more about who we are and why, we believe in ‘Breathing Life into People‘.
Spark your Influence!